Translate

Apr 10, 2010

Psalm 40:8 - William Button

I cannot help but just observing, that I think Mr. F. has mistook the principal meaning of Psa. 40:8, “I delight to do thy will, O my God, yea, thy law is within my heart,” which he brings as a proof that the spirit and conduct of Jesus Christ, so far as he was the model after which we are formed, were nothing more nor less than an entire conformity to the moral law.—I do not think the moral law is that which is immediately referred to there, though that may be included. I am ready to imagine, the law there meant is the law concerning the work and office of Mediator, and the particular injunction and command he received of his father to lay down his life and offer up his soul a sacrifice for sinners, which is particularly mentioned in John 10:17-18, “Therefore doth my father love me, because I lay down my life,” etc. “This commandment have I received of my Father.” It is true, the Lord Jesus Christ throughout his life yielded obedience to God, as he was made of a woman, made under the law; but the highest act of obedience to God was his laying down his life; which was the particular and especial command of the Father, and was what rendered him as Mediator so peculiarly acceptable to him. Therefore doeth my Father love me. Therefore God hath highly exalted him, and given him a name above every name. And therefore, says God, “I will divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death.”


Duty-faith Expositions

Free Grace Expositions